Practice and Training Test Resources
The English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) is comprised of the Initial, Summative, and Alternate ELPAC. The Initial and Summative ELPAC are delivered via a computer-based test delivery platform. The Alternate ELPAC operational field test will be available from January 12 through February 16, 2021. The practice and training tests allow students, parents/guardians, families, teachers, administrators, and others an opportunity to become familiar with the computer-based test delivery platform as well as the types of test questions that may appear on the actual test at each grade or grade span.
The practice test includes examples of all the types of test questions that may appear in the actual test at each grade or grade span and mirrors a full-length operational test. The training test is shorter compared to the practice test and includes some sample test questions for each domain.
Practice and Training Tests
- Test examiners should access the online Practice and Training Site for test examiners. Quick Reference Guides on how to start Training and Practice Tests are available on the Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides web page.
- Students should access the Practice and Training Tests for the online tests.
Test examiners will need to use the Directions for Administration (DFAs) and follow the instructions when administering the online practice and training tests.
- Training Test DFAs provide an overview of the ELPAC and instructions to use when administering the online training tests.
- Practice Test DFAs provide an overview of the ELPAC and instructions to use when administering the online practice tests.
- Practice Test Scoring Guides provide details about student response types, correct responses, and related scoring considerations for the included sample of practice test items.
The Alternate ELPAC operational field test will be available from January 12 through February 16, 2021. The training tests for the Alternate ELPAC will be available in September and the practice tests for the Alternate ELPAC will be available in November.
Initial and Summative ELPAC
Key differences to consider when using these practice and training test resources to prepare for the Initial and Summative ELPAC:
- The online ELPAC practice tests can be used to prepare for either the Initial or the Summative ELPAC. The online ELPAC practice tests are based on the full length Summative ELPAC. However, these practice tests can also be used to prepare students for Initial ELPAC since task types used in Initial ELPAC is a subset of the task types appearing in the Summative ELPAC.
- The following tasks types appear on the Summative ELPAC and do not appear in the Initial ELPAC:
- Speaking: Present and Discuss Information
- Reading: Read a Student Essay
- Writing: Write about an Academic Information
- The Initial ELPAC test is combined for grades nine through twelve. Students may use the ELPAC practice test for grades nine and ten and/or grades eleven and twelve to prepare for Initial ELPAC.